Monday, May 25, 2009

Greeting Cards

Hi guys!
This is the cover of a card I made a few weeks ago for Mother's Day. As the years get on it becomes increasingly difficult to come up with new ways of showing my undying love and appreciation, etc. In the end I decided that the thing my Mom might like best would be to see my brother and I as little kids again! Of course, we are 6 1/2 years apart in age so we never actually looked like this at the same time... We did, however, actually dress like this: my mom handmade sailor suits for my brother and searched out all these fancy old dresses for me in thrift stores. A friend of mine said that we look like something out of a Decemberists song I and I think that was unconsciously what I was going for.
Oh, I used to hate dressing up but now I wish I could wear fancy lace-covered dresses all the time!


For fun and as proof of my mom's somewhat unusual taste in children's attire (for the late 80s and early 90s, anyway), here are some old family photos!

My brother, Patrick, and my grandma in front of the Naval Museum in D.C. (certainly an appropriate outfit for this particular outing):


The Mortons all together for my baptism. I'm the little white paper sack my mom is carrying. I love that expression on her face!


Here I am alone, probably about 3 years old. My hair wasn't long enough to wear in braids yet.


While riffling through old photos in search of the above I uncovered some other cards I've made over the years!

I made this one for my dad to give to my mom on their 17th anniversary. I can't remember which one they're up to now but I think I must have been about 10 or 11:


Unfortunately this one isn't dated but i think it must have been made somewhere around the same time.



This one actually isn't very old at all: it's from Father's Day 08. My Dad likes sitting outside a lot.


Interior (I am the puppet master!):

Thanks for looking! Do you guys still make homemade cards for your family and friends?

7 comments:

  1. I love how you did the top illustration! The way you drew the two of you guys and the paint looks really great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I was trying something kind of different so that's especially nice to hear ^^!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janna!You finally have a blog!
    I like the top illusraion too and I'm impressed by your stiched work and especially that pom pom head. Hope you're having a fun summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep! I didn't realize how many MICAns were in the blogosphere until I made one ^^.
    Thank you for the kind words! I hope you're having a good summer, too! By the looks of your blog you're keeping busy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello girlie! This post in particular is very exciting (the evolution of a great artist) but the whole blog looks sweet. I love seeing your old drawings! Are you like me and totally save all your old doodles?

    ReplyDelete
  6. every so often i'll make a home made card so its more half and half thing.
    your cards are adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Becca - Howdy! I'm glad you've enjoyed my old scribbles ^^! I do save everything! though unfortunately my Mom made me throw away a lot of my stash when I was about 10 so doodles from before that time are relatively scarce. You should post some of your old drawings online! I'd love to see them.

    Kelly - I get that. I always make my parents homemade cards but I'm usually too busy to make them for my friends. I'm going to try to work on that this year.
    Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete